271406Z AUG 14
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
SUBJ/UNIFORM UPDATE NAVY AND COMMAND BALL CAP//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/AUG//
REF/B/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/011623ZAPR13//
REF/C/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/022305ZDEC11//
REF/D/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/312021ZMAR10//
NARR/REF A IS NAVPERS 15665I, UNITED STATES NAVY UNIFORM REGULATIONS. REF B IS NAVADMIN 084/13, NAVY WORKING UNIFORM TYPE I UPDATE. REF C IS NAVADMIN 366/11, NAVY WORKING UNIFORM TYPE I, II AND III EXPANDED OCCASION FOR WEAR AND REVISED MANNER OF WEAR. REF D IS NAVADMIN 118/10, UNIFORM BOARD UPDATE.
RMKS/1. Based on Fleet feedback, the Secretary of the Navy and the Chief of Naval Operations directed expansion of our ball cap policy. Effective 1 September 2014, the Navy and command ball cap may be worn in lieu of the eight-point cover with the Navy Working Uniform (NWU) Type I, II and III in accordance with reference (a).
2. Command ball caps are organizational clothing that may be purchased with appropriated funds and issued in accordance with reference (a), chapter 6, article 6801. Sailors may purchase command ball caps with their personal funds, just as they purchase command badges, patches, belt buckles and otherpermissible uniform items. Additionally, wardrooms, chief petty officer messes, first class petty officer associations, junior enlisted associations, and other similar organizations may purchase command ball caps with their funds. The use of morale, welfare, and recreation (MWR) non-appropriated
funds to purchase command ball caps is prohibited per DoDI 1015.15 and CNIC Instruction 1710.3.
3. The eight-point cover will remain the basic uniform component cover for the NWUs and thus will be the only appropriate cover for personnel uniform inspections and special occasions where Sailors are ordered to wear their NWUs with eight-point cover to ensure a uniform appearance within the command. The Navy and command ball cap will remain authorized, optional head gear worn with navy flight suits, navy blue coveralls, flame resistant coveralls, and the Navy physical training uniform.
4. The manner of wear and description of the Navy and command ball caps remain as noted in reference (a), chapter 3, article 3501.8.No other items,ornamentation, or insignia other than specified in reference (a) is authorized for wear on the ball cap.
5. This NAVADMIN supersedes paragraph 6.C.(3) of reference (b), paragraph 5 of reference (c), and paragraph 1.C. of reference (d), and authorizes the optional wear of Navy and command ball caps with the NWU Type I, II and III until reference (a) is updated to reflect the change.
6. Questions regarding occasion for wear should be directed to your commanding officer and regional commanders. General questions and comments regarding this NAVADMIN should be addressed to the Uniform Matters Office, OPNAV N131U, via e-mail at: Mr. Robert B. Carroll, robert.b.carroll(at)navy.mil; CMDCM(SW/AW) Rita N. Carman,rita.carman(at)navy.mil; or PS1(SW) Andrew S. Lucio, andrew.lucio(at)navy.mil.
7. This NAVADMIN will remain in effect until superseded or canceled, whichever occurs first.
8. Released by Vice Admiral W. F. Moran, N1.//